12.10.2012

zesty lemon bars

So I am going to tell you right now, these Lemon Bars are A.M.A.Z.I.N.G!
They have that perfect balance of sweet and tart, that deliver a zesty lemon flavor sent from 
lemon heaven!
I adapted this recipe from my Hubby's family cookbook. I believe this recipe itself was written by his Great Grandma, kind of awesome in itself!
I switched it up a bit and opted for butter instead of margarine, and used fresh lemon juice instead of the bottle. And while I had a lemon, why not kick it up a bit and throw in a little zest!
Don't want to TOOT my own horn or anything, but they turned out better than I expected...TOOT TOOT!!

Zesty Lemon Bars
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick); room temp.
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Zest from an entire lemon
Juice from 1 whole lemon 
Icing
1 cup powdered sugar
8 tsp lemon zest
4 tbsp lemon juice
*I just used another whole lemon for the icing too, it was perfect!*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Combined the first 3 ingredients in a mixer until it forms small clumps and is well mixed. Coat a 9-in square pan with non-stick spray, press flour mixture into pan firmly and evenly. Bake for about 15 minutes. While baking, mix the eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon zest and juice. Pour mixture over the baked crust in the pan. Return to oven and bake for 25 minutes longer. Place on wire rack, and let cool completely before icing.
 Blend the powdered sugar, lemon zest and juice until smooth. Spread over the top of the cooled lemon bars and let sit for about an hour. 
 So the final step in this was to get the Hubby's approval....
And I quote:
"Wow, these taste as good as Grandma's."
That folks is what I call WINNING! 


7 comments:

  1. Those lemon bars look scrumptious! I'm a new follower from the GFC Collective hop! Thanks for co-hosting! Esther Norine Designs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE lemon bars! Im that person at a party that creepily hangs out wherever they are placed. I will definitley have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA!! I do that too!!! Lemon bars, Lemaon tarts...If it has lemon in it I make sure I germify them all so I can enjoy them all to myself!! (Not really, but it has crossed my mind a few times!)

      Delete
  3. Ooooh my favorite!! ;-) Thanks for sharing the recipe! Following from GFC Collective, btw. Have a fabulous day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love lemon squares! ♥ Those look delicious!!! I have to try it :)

    NEW FOLLOWER HERE!!

    ♥,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Found your blog through the GFC Collective and I'm so glad I did! These look absolutely incredible; can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Love reading your comments!!

Blogging tips